...because we all have our motley moments!


Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Laundry. Yikes!

I'm writing this blog, but what I really need to be doing is putting away my laundry.
It's upstairs waiting for me.
It's been there exactly one week.
One week ago today I went to the laundromat and washed about 100 lbs of laundry. That's about 12 full loads. Really.
I was so behind on washing it wasn't funny or pretty.
And yes. There is a science to it.


Steps you need to take to complete a project like this:

1) Accept that you have a laundry problem and just embrace it.

2) Figure out how you are going to get your laundry there and back efficiently. In my case, I went to the store and bought 4 huge wash baskets that are SQUARE on the bottom NOT ROUND. This is crucial for when you get to step 5 and you need to fold everything.

3) Make sure you have money, dish soap, softener and bleach. It cost me about $25 to wash and dry everything.

4) Schedule your big wash day when you can just sit and veg for a few hours or bring the kids. The place we have here has TV, videos, kids area and other entertainment.

5) Timetable: It took 30 minutes to wash and 45 minutes to dry. The time consuming thing is the folding at the end. That took at least 2 hours because I had my kids with me and I kept having to stop and redirect them.

5) Pack your car with all your clean and folded laundry!

6) Smile! You did it! Try to enjoy this state of euphoria for as long as possible because...
7) When you get home, you get to put it all away!

2 comments:

Donna said...

Wow! I think that's great! And the laundromat sounds kinda fun. Very "Pocket for Corduroy-ish."

And how nice to get it all washed and dryed in an hour and a half (plus folding). What a lifesaver when you have Mt. Laundry looming over your head.

See girls...there's always hope. But Maria, I wouldn't make a habit of this if I were you. Washing a couple loads a week is much easier on your back! But we moms just do what we have to do to get the job done, right?

Karly said...

Love the picture!! You know me and my mountain of laundry...I FEEL YOU!! Great idea to get it all done at once. Putting it away is the hardest part for me too. And by the time I get it all put away-everybody's clothes hampers are full again. YIKES, is right!

Good Luck on your conquest!