...because we all have our motley moments!


Monday, November 24, 2008

What I Love about Thanksgiving

A few years ago, I was asked to host the Davis Family Thanksgiving (my Dad's family, not to be confused with Sammy Davis, Jr.'s). I was happy to entertain, but I wasn't so thrilled about Thanksgiving. Easter or Christmas would be far more fun to host. After all, Easter has soft fluffy bunnies and fuzzy baby chicks. Christmas has sweet Baby Jesus mangers and jolly round snowmen. Thanksgiving only has turkeys, which are not very cute or decorative. In time, I grew to love Thanksgiving, and here are some of the things I love most.

The one true God who gives me everything else on this list and more. The one true God who loves me as I am because he made me that way. He has adopted me as his own, and I am a friend of God even though I don't deserve it.

Underdog and all of the other gigantic balloons in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Ribeiros – we met the Ribeiros when adopting Alex from Russia. Thank God he paired us up with them. They have been more help to our family than they will ever know. They are angels on earth!!

Kinfolk – my wonderful friends and family. I am so blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life. I am especially thankful for my loving and supportive parents, my brothers and their families, and my husband’s family. Our family is extra blessed this year with a new niece and a new nephew.

Everything chocolate! I have tasted chocolate from all parts of the world and have yet to try some I didn’t like. My favorite was purchased in the Astor Mall in Astrakhan, Russia.

Y didn’t come – Norah Jones sang this on Sesame Street, and it is one of Alex’s favorites. Y is for this song, and Sesame Street, which is probably my all time favorite show.

DH – chat lingo for Dear Husband. Just yesterday, I was listening to the Amy Grant song, “Oh how the years go by” and thinking of our marriage. My Aunt Mary sang this song at our wedding, and it fits our lives. “When the storms came through, they found me and you back to back together.” There is no one else I would want to face any storm with besides my wonderful husband!

Alex, you are a precious gift from God, and I am so thankful we are a family.

Yams, cranberry relish, pumpkin pie, turkey, hot rolls, noodles and warm cider - these are always on the menu at our Thanksgiving dinners.



What do you all love about Thanksgiving?

2 comments:

Donna said...

I love that on Thanksgiving, we make special foods that we love, but we deprive ourselves of them the whole rest of the year, just so they'll be special on Thanksgiving. That's kinda weird and maybe a little sad...maybe it's just that these foods take a special effort and we don't typically have the time or energy for that kind of effort when it comes to nutrition. We tend to keep it pretty simple around here!

One of my favorites: Curried Butternut Squash Soup...yum!

Donna said...

Oh, and it's just not Thanksgiving if we don't get to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on NBC.