...because we all have our motley moments!


Sunday, November 23, 2008

Turkey Laughs

With Thanksgiving just a few days away and the last minute rush looming in the distance, I thought we could take a few moments to relax and laugh a little. I found this cute (um, I mean incredibly cruel) story online.

Pregnant Turkey

Last year at Thanksgiving, my mom went to my sister's house for the traditional feast. Knowing how gullible my sister is, my mom decided to play a trick. She told my sister that she needed something from the store.

When my sister left, my mom took the turkey out of the oven, removed the stuffing, stuffed a Cornish hen, and inserted it into the turkey, and re-stuffed the turkey. She then placed the bird(s) back in the oven.

When it was time for dinner, my sister pulled the turkey out of the oven and proceeded to remove the stuffing. When her serving spoon hit something, she reached in and pulled out the little bird.

With a look of total shock on her face, my mother exclaimed, "Patricia, you've cooked a pregnant bird!"

At the reality of this horrifying news, my sister started to cry. It took the family two hours to convince her that turkeys lay eggs!
Do you have any funny Thanksgiving stories? Please share! Have a great week!

4 comments:

Donna said...

That's pretty funny!

One year, my single mom with four kids sat us down, family meeting-style, to plan our Favorite-Thanksgiving-Foods Menu. We've been eating broccoli casserole for Thanksgiving ever since!

My husband's family insists no Thanksgiving spread is complete without red cabbage or creamed onions.

And Paul's mom makes the best "Turkey in a Bag" I've ever eaten! I think you dress your turkey, then slide it into a greased paper bag (the grocery kind) and staple it shut. You don't have to baste the bird at all...the turkey stays very moist!

I have a question for you all: Do you traditionally pull out your Christmas decorations the day (or weekend) after Thanksgiving or do you wait until December? Is there a specific time or way you begin observing the Christmas season?

Jason and Fawnda said...

I might be stealing Karly's but I am going to tell it anyway!

It is the thanksgiving that our future husband (than just boyfriends) came over to meet the family. Paul (Karly's guy) could not believe that my mom cooked everything. He went on and on about how good it was. It was almost Eddie Hasskle like. Also our family is very Loud and Poor Jason and Paul just sat there and barely said anything, while the rest of the family got louder and louder, trying to be the loudest so that we could be heard.

When it was time for my grandma Patsy to leave she wanted to give everyone a kiss goodbye and that included the 2 new boyfriends. She proceeded to kiss both of them smack on the lips and than talk about how good looking they both were.

The boys must have really loved us to marry us after all that!

And, In case you did not know, Karly and I started dating our husbands on the same day and we got married to them the same summer (just 2 months apart!) It drove my mom crazy that summer! But it was worth it!

Also, to answer Donna's question. We usually decorate the tree the weekend after Thanksgiving. That is also when we start to listen to Christmas music.

Fawnda

Donna said...

Your family sounds SO MUCH like my family!!! I think that's why Karly and I became such good friends. I always felt like she was one of my sisters! We can talk over each other with the best of them! It's just the way my family communicates. And when the girls of my family get together...WATCH OUT! We are so loud and silly! I never laugh so hard as I do when I'm with my sisters.

Thanks for sharing, Fawnda! I'm thinking we'll decorate next weekend, since that is the official start of the Advent season. That gives me a week to get the house clean and organized. Yikes!

Rachel said...

We always decorate the day after Thanksgiving, too. I give myself from that Friday until December 1st to get everything set so that we can just enjoy ourselves through the rest of the holidays.

The turkey in a bag sounds very interesting but yummy!