...because we all have our motley moments!


Tuesday, August 18, 2009

True Confessions of a SuperMom and A Funny Story



Every now and then when I start to feel like I'm falling behind in this whole mothering thing, I need to give myself a reality check. As confession is good for the soul, I hope you don't mind if I use our dear Motley Moms as my sounding board! Here's what's on my mind today:

  1. I'm not actually a "supermom." I just thought that title was more exciting than, say, "True Confessions of an Average, Run of the Mill Mom." I apologize for any confusion.
  2. I don't like carrots and celery, and I don't expect our son to, either.
  3. Our son watches TV often, and sometimes he sits an inch away from the screen.
  4. I'm not so great at watching our son's every move. This, unfortunately, has resulted in The Great Baby Powder and Boudreaux's Butt Paste Catastrophe of 2008, The Lesser Baby Powder Disaster of 2009, and the Elmer's Glue Incident of yesterday. (Edited to add: The Sharpie Marker Episode of just now while I was blogging.)
  5. I don't like to share, especially when it comes to dessert. If you hear our son say, "That's MINE," he probably heard it from me, and he probably heard it during a situation involving chocolate.
I could go on, but that feels better for today! And now, for what I consider to be the funny story:

While our son was watching Max and Ruby last week (probably an inch away from the screen) he was inspired to make a "mud cake," just like Max's. He worked for several minutes filling his little bucket with dirt, and he brought it to his picnic table and dumped it out. He took his little "shubble" [shovel, for those of you who don't speak toddler], scooped a big chunk of the "cake," and brought it to me. He held the scoop up to me and said, "Here, Mommy, here's your cake!" Like a good little playing-make-believe partner, I got close to his gift, made yummy noises, and pretended to take a bite. His little face twisted into a scowl, and he shook his head. "Mommy, that's DIRT!" he cried with a tinge of disbelief in his voice.



Let's have a laugh today--do you have any funny stories to share? (Feel free to make some confessions, too, if you want--I promise it won't go any further than this blog!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel, I love you blogs. I really think the trick to being a "supermom" is to just be a "normal" mom.

Tara said...

I loved that story! lol He's so cute.... and smart. I can just imagine him saying that.

And, I've never thought of you as an average mom. Ever since the day you gave Cadin and Isaac "sumping" (the snacks that they were calling something) I knew you were really supermom. lol

Liz said...

This post was hilarious! I can totally see him scowling at you and telling you not to eat the dirt. :)