...because we all have our motley moments!


Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sloooooowwwwww Down

I am a major klutz, always have been. One time I was walking on the sidewalk in college and I tripped over a leaf. A leaf - I kid you not. Another time I broke my toe during a tae kwon do class because I accidentally kicked the wall. It's nearly constant - knock this over, stub this toe, bump into that wall, spill this, oh and wait - let me tell you about my husband's truck. He was out of town for a week for work and he took my car to the airport so I had his truck. I was backing out of our driveway, on my way to take the boys to their grandma's, and I got too close to the gate and scraped all the way down the side of the truck. Then, the very next day, I was pulling into the driveway and scraped the truck again, only on the other side. It was a mess. Both back side panels had to be replaced, painted, new bumper, etc. My husband was a good sport about it, but I felt like an idiot. Lately this klutzy stuff has been really getting to me. I have a lot of stress in my life. I am dealing with a very ugly family situation and I have 2 small children - enough said. I think I am also having a bit of a faith crisis because I (*cringe*) have been blaming God for my klutziness. He made me, after all. He could keep me from constantly hurting myself and breaking stuff. Usually when something like that happens, I say very bad words in my head. I knew I needed to stop doing that, though, so one day I stubbed my toe and it hurt and I just took a breath and tried not to curse. And I promise you, God said to me, "Slow. Down." I realized that the reason I am such a klutz is that I rush. I'm constantly rushing around, hurrying to do this, running to do that. I really don't have a lot to do. I don't have many deadlines. But I race through chores and meals and books like a chicken with my head cut off. So now when I do something klutzy, such as knock the olive oil over onto the stove, I tell myself, "Slow down." And last night, when I had spent an hour driving around town to get my husband's pain medication for the shoulder surgery he had yesterday morning and then to Beef's where I waited 30 minutes for our food and then into the driveway with the truck, scraping the side of it on the gate AGAIN, I put my head down on the steering wheel and, instead of cursing God, I simply told myself to slow down. After all, as the wise Lily Tomlin says, "For fast-acting relief, try slowing down."

7 comments:

Maria said...

I feel like that too! I hate rushing around. It makes me turn into a mean mommy and I constantly feel like I have to apologize for everything. Sorry I'm late/ sorry I yelled at you/ sorry I forgot whatever/ sorry, sorry, sorry.

I too am trying to S-L-O-W D-O-W-N. I'm trying to say "no" more to stuff outside of the house and yes to my kids more. I'm trying to get my house in order so that it's not a mess all the time. I'm trying to make my to do list shorter.

I was in such a hurry this week that I almost decapitated my daughter's head in the car window! I THOUGHT I was closing one window when I was actually closing the one that she was hanging her head out of. Thank you Jesus for protecting her from... me!

Thanks for the post and the advice. I'm taking it to heart and just know you are not the only one that rushes through things daily.

Donna said...

I'm sorry, friend! The truck incident must have been a seriously aggravating way to end that long, stressful day.

I hate rushing. In fact, sometimes I am so slow, I'm sure people must just think I'm lazy. I get so little accomplished in a day. In reality, I'm just not organized enough to rush from one thing to another. I'm okay with that, though.

Thanks for the reminder to take a breath and live in the moment. Our kids will thank us in the long run. (Maybe not, but in my imagination, they are totally grateful, gracious adults who appreciate the sacrifices we've made for their sake...this is what I do when I should be getting stuff done - daydreaming!)

Lindsay said...

Great post, and a great reminder to all of us. I seem to go in spurts. Some days I am relaxed and take everything slowly, but then then next day I feel rushed for everything that I didn't get done the previous day. I need to find a middle ground somewhere.

I think I would have burst into tears after your day. :(

Donna said...

Seriously...I'm not a crier, but that would've done me in!

Liz said...

No, I didn't cry. But I didn't tell Todd I'd scratched the truck again until yesterday afternoon. I wanted to wait till he was on the percocet - ha!

Donna said...

So you drugged him first is what you're saying. Good call. ;)

Pam said...

I hate it that your stressful situation is getting worse instead of better. You are a great person, and a great mom. Thanks for a great post. We all need to slow down from time to time.