...because we all have our motley moments!


Monday, June 1, 2009

Motley in the Midwest


Later this week, my family will be moving back to the Midwest. It seems like just a few months ago we pulled into town, shell-shocked and weary from our cross country journey. Wait a minute, it was just a few months ago. I'd like to say that we had so much fun moving cross country last summer that we thought we would do it again, but I'm not saying that because it isn't true. Nonetheless, for many complicated reasons, we are packing up and moving home. Rest assured, we will be greeted by numerous friends and family saying, "I told you so."

We have been inundated with questions. Where? When? Why? How? For some families these would be simple to answer, but not for the Carvers. The short story is this: moving back to the Midwest is best for the three of us as a whole. I am really glad that we moved to Florida, and I have loved living here. We would have always wondered what we were missing, and now we know what works best for us. We're not exactly sure where we will land, but we are looking forward to it.

I keep thinking of Luci Swindoll, Chuck Swindoll's sister. One of her books is called, "I Married Adventure." She shares stories about her life as she has followed God's will for her around the world. Following God is sometimes difficult, sometimes uncertain, and most of the time adventurous. We are committed to doing God's work in our lives, and we believe this move will take us to our next mission for Him.

When you picture my family on our next moving adventure, I hope you see me singing fun travel songs and handing out string cheese and juice boxes. I hope you see us smiling and counting cows along the country side because I sure wouldn't want you to see what really happens. Our trips tend to be a lot like the Chevy Chase Vacation movies - the longer the trip, the more the trip falls apart.

Last summer, we sent my husband down to Florida in a Budget Van with my car hitched to the back. He had five days total to make the 2-day trip, find a house to rent, unpack the van, return the van, get a blood test for work, and get back to the airport. I was at my Mom's with Alex. We were out of our routine, and Alex was really missing his dad. Plus, the stress of the move was affecting him as much as us. Charlie called on the third or fourth day to tell me he might need to change his flight and keep the van for another day. I remember saying something like this, "I don't care what you have to do, but you have got to make that flight home. " This move has to be easier for all of us.

My good friend Jody has moved all over the country, and she gave me a wonderful tip. She said to mark a box as the First Night Box, and fill it with anything you will need for the first night at your new place. You can even let your kids have tons of fun decorating it, so it will stand out from the other boxes. Do any of you have some great moving success tips you can share with me?

8 comments:

Donna said...

God bless you and your family as you tackle this big move! We'll be thinking about you this week.

We'll miss you, Pam, but no matter where you go, you'll always be a Motley Mom! Looking forward to your next post from the midwest!

Love,
Donna

Lindsay said...

I haven't moved since having kids so I don't have any tips for you on that. Just remember that it will only be a short time and you'll be settled soon enough.

God Bless you on your adventure back "home". We will miss you, and look forward to hearing from you in any way we can.

Have a safe trip. I will say a prayer for you.

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

The Midwest??? That’s were I live! Not that I am happy that you have to move again!

I remember when I was young and we went on long road trips, my mom always had lots of food. they kept us kids happy on the road. Some tried and true choices of food were: licorice, bit of honey, Corn nuts, and whoppers! Every time we travel now I have to have a snack for the road

Liz said...

Can I just say that I don't wanna talk about it? :(

Janice said...

I feel bad for your Florida friends, because I know how they feel right now -- that's how I felt last summer when you packed up and took that adorable little hug machine with you. (I'm talking about Alex, for anybody not sure.) Keep me posted on your possible "landing" spots. You know, there is a Starbucks in Chucktown now -- hint, hint. :)

Maria said...

I'll miss you dearly. You are such a funny person and I hope you make some great new friends where you go. I also read Lucy Swindoll's book and enjoyed it. God bless you and your family. Here's a big huuuuuggggg for Alex :)

Charlie.carver said...

I would like to personally thank all of the Motley Moms for being such an important part of my dear lovely wife's life. Not only will she miss you, but I will miss how you all have so graciously been a part of her life. I promise that I will do my best to take care of her for you. Thanks again, Charlie

Donna said...

That was incredibly sweet. Pam, you've got a keeper there!