...because we all have our motley moments!


Saturday, November 28, 2009

Homemade Christmas- Monogram plate gift

Here is one of the hostess gifts I made this year!

Monogram Fabric-backed Plates:




Here is what you will need:
a clear glass plate
fabric (enough to cover you plate)
Scrapbook paper (enough for your monogram)
Xacto Knife
Scissors
Mod Podge and bush

1.) Make your monogram. I free handed my "N" but you could print a letter off of your computer on the back of your paper using the Mirror Image Printing option. I also traced around the bottom of my plate to know how big to make the letter. 2.) Cut out your letter using an Xacto Knife.

Optional: I distressed my letter with some brown ink. 3.) Cut a piece fabric in a square that is about an inch bigger on each of the sides of the plate. (I know the plate is hard to see but it is clear) 4.) Place your plate on a cup with the bottom facing up. I found it was easier to work with this way!



5.) Brush on a coat of Mod Podge. on the inner circle only for now.



6.) Place your monogram upside down on the Mod Podge.



7.) Brush on Mod Podge over your monogram. Make sure the keep the monogram flat and to press out any bubbles. Now- let dry (Have a sandwhich or something)


8.) When it is dry, bush on more mod Podge all over the whole plate... Be generous with it



9.) Place the fabric over your plate and flatten out any bubbles.


10.) Brush on more Mod Podge all over the top of the fabric. Let dry... this can take a while so just put it off to the side. Or, you can do what I did and check on it every 10 minutes or so... is it done yet?- nope... is it done yet?- nope....



11.) When it is FINALLY dry cut off the extra fabric by cutting around the plate as close as you can. If you are worried about the edges frying you can brush a little more Mod Podge around the edge.







12.) Flip it over! Very Cool!
Wouldn't this be so great as a hostess gift? You can bring it with cookies, bars, or other sweets on top of it and they get to keep the plate!
I also think that it could make a very cool Grandparent gift if you print a picture of your kids or family and put it in the place of the monogram.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I saw this on your blog a couple weeks ago, and I think it's really cool--two questions, though:

1. Do you have a secret for getting all the bubbles out from under the fabric? I'm afraid mine would have pleats and wrinkles.

2. I'm a crafting newbie and I haven't really worked with Mod Podge much--any special directions for washing the plate? Is it pretty tough stuff?

This is such a pretty craft--thanks so much for the tutorial! :) Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Rachel- It is an easy craft. To answer your questions:
1.) The bubbles are not that hard to get out. But sometimes it will wrinkle around the edge of the plate. I just brush on a little more mod podge so get it to stick.

2.) Mod Podge is SUPER easy to use. it is pretty tough stuff. The plate is not dishwasher safe but it is hand washable. I don't submerge mine under water, but I do rinse off the top... they have an outdoor Mod Podge that is supposed to be more water resistant so that might be something to look into.

I hope that this helps a bit.

Tara said...

that is so cute! such a neat idea.

Rachel said...

Thanks for the tips, Fawnda! I may just try this!

Donna said...

That is SUCH a neat hostess gift idea! And I love the idea of using a cute pic of the kids for grandparents. You are such a gifted crafter, Fawnda! Thanks for sharing another terrific tutorial!