...because we all have our motley moments!


Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Some Easy Recipes We Like

Sausage Rice Casserole

1 pound sausage
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
1 cup chopped onions
1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
3 3/4 cups chicken broth (I have used the College Inn white wine and herb flavor broth and don't have to add any seasoning...and it contains no MSG)

Directions:
Brown sausage and drain off grease. Saute the onions and celery. Grease a large, covered casserole* and put all ingredients in it. Stir to combine.
Bake covered at 350 F for about an hour, until liquid is absorbed.

*I use my dutch oven so I can brown ingredients and bake all in one pot...love that! I might experiment with adding greens of some sort. Fresh spinach leaves could certainly be added after removing casserole from the oven. Replace the lid for a few minutes to allow the spinach to steam.


Turkey In a Bag (a.k.a. The Most Awesome, Tenderest Turkey We've Ever Tasted!)

My mother-in-law has been baking the Thanksgiving turkey this way as long as my husband can remember and it's always delicious!

Butter entire inside of a large brown paper grocery bag. Slide your prepared bird in and staple the bag shut. Bake at 325 F 1 hour for every 6 lbs.
No basting...Yea!!!!!!

9 comments:

Lindsay said...

I LOVE Sausage Rice Casserole. My mom made it all the time when I was growing up. It's still one of my favorites.

I will have to try the Turkey sometime. We are doing a Ham this year for Thanksgiving, and going on a picnic, so I'll have to remember for next year.

Donna said...

I just can't eat ham on Thanksgiving. I absolutely MUST gorge myself on turkey for days. There's nothing like a Thanksgiving leftovers sammich!

Sounds like you'll be having a Thanksgiving adventure!

Rachel said...

Thanks, Donna! I wanted both of these recipes!

Lindsay said...

I actually am not a big fan of Turkey so I was super excited when my mom suggested ham instead. But none of us really have a house large enough to host Thanksgiving so that's why we decided to just do a picnic.

Donna said...

Awesome! It's all about togetherness, whichever way makes that possible.

You don't like turkey?! Our good friend Teresa doesn't care for it, either. I really only need it once a year...probably because we eat it for as many days as they say it's safe. And then I make turkey soup!

Karly said...

These both sound delicious. I can't wait to try them.

How many days do they say it is safe?

Bryssy said...

You are right, the paper bag turkey is excellent, Donna!

I can remember being scared to try a turkey or ham. One think I learned was to never cook a ham or turken in my regular oven - it takes up too much room, I use my lidded roaster in another room altogether.

If we ever get a deal on peaches, the peach almond conserve is a superb glaze for ham!

Donna said...

I think it's three days in the refrigerator, Karly. After three days, we throw out any and all leftovers. Why risk it, right?

Bryssy said...

Karly, I freeze leftovers if we have a ton. And, I make a "leftover casserole" that is so awesome. It freezes well, but I normally don't get a chance to, before it's eaten.

The casserole is in a 9x13 sprayed with non-stick spray. Start with stuffing on the bottom, then turkey or ham, veggies, cranberry sauce and top with mashed potatoes and cheese. Bake until heated through (350 is good) and the cheese melts. It's so freaking good! I love it!