...because we all have our motley moments!


Saturday, November 14, 2009

Homemade Christmas In Kentucky

Growing up we would always listen to Kenny Roger's Christmas album (first the record then, the cassette) while decorating the house for Christmas. Any time I hear one of the songs, it is like I am a little girl again singing around our tree.

One of the songs is Homemade Christmas in Kentucky. It is about a man who is laid off and can not afford to buy gifts for his family, so he decides to make gifts. He is heartbroken that he can not buy the store made gifts that his kids really want, but knows that for a Merry Christmas you need family and God's love.

here is the chorus:
It's just another homemade Christmas in Kentucky
Just odds and ends I fashioned with my heart and with my hands
It's just another homemade Christmas in Kentucky
Our fine and fancy homemade love, God's precious gift from up above
Make up the homemade Christmas of this poor Kentucky man

I love how the "fine and fancy homemade love and God's precious gift from up above" make up his Christmas. I think a lot of people can relate to this song now-a-days.

I thank God that My Hubby still has his job, but we are still trying to save some money around the holidays so I am thinking of having myself a homemade Christmas in Minnesota! I am going to give some "odds and ends I fashion with my heart and with my hands"

I know it will be a lot of work but I am excited about it all the same!

Would any one be interested in tutorials on what I make?

What kinds of homemade gifts are you giving this year?

3 comments:

Pam said...

Hey Fawnda - I would love a list of what you are making. I have been watching your blog for ideas. I am making most of our gifts this year too. I think it is a lot of fun. I have already made grape and apple jelly, applesauce and apple butter. Great post!

Donna said...

YES! Post some tutorials for your handmade gifts! I love seeing what other crafty moms are making! ;)

Lindsay said...

I would love some tutorials.

I think we are going to make the clipboards, that we made at MOPS a few weeks ago. I love mine, and I have lots of teachers in my family. :)