...because we all have our motley moments!


Wednesday, August 6, 2008

New Doggies!

Well, today is day three of our new adventure with these two new dogs we picked up at the pound. Things are actually going pretty well considering...




Pre-dog days


Ever since our two dogs Cotton and Frosty met untimely deaths a few years ago, I've been pining for a furry friend to join our family. Having small children has made the idea of having pets again kind of unsavory so I had to tread lightly and plan things out carefully.




Step one. Make sure kids are toilet trained themselves. There's only so much poop and pee I can deal with at one time.


Step two. Find a breed as close to a stuffed animal as possible, ie., Not too big, not too small, not too old, not too young, hardly sheds, doesn't bark too much, isn't too excitable, won't bite the kids or eat their toys, completely house and crate trained, good with strangers yet barks at someone at the door, totally healthy, parasite-free, incapable of giving us lots of puppies, and lastly, cute as anything. Oh, and did I mention free or at least inexpensive? Simple, right? That's only 18 parameters that had to be met. Well....



I think we may have found TWO dogs that fit the bill. I told my reluctant hubby that God not only helped us find one dog, but two great dogs. Others have mentioned that maybe I'm just a sucker, but I would rather think this is providence.



So far, they're perfect. Except for... the fleas and caked poop they both had when we transported them to our home, the poop, pee and puke (sounds like a rock band) I've cleaned up, the snapping between the dogs over an belatedly eaten dog biscuit, and let me mention, all the piggy-back rides the male is getting all the time. Oh, yeah. He's getting it more than the adults in this home. It's always business-time at our house these days (that's for you Karly :) ). It's a good thing they're spayed and neutered. That's all I've got to say about that.



We have fallen in love with these two furry creatures. My continuous fear is that one will bite the kids. I can deal with anything but this. The understanding between all of us is that if we get bitten, then that doggy will need to go to another home where he/she will be happier. I hope it'll never come to this. That will be a sad day for sure.


We'll see what this week brings. We're hoping for the best!

5 comments:

Donna said...

We want pics! Show us your furry friends!

Rachel said...

Congratulations on the new members of your family! They have been blessed with a wonderful new home!!

Teresa said...

I forgot to read this guide book before we got our dog. We got a SHEDDER! She sheds a ton, but we love her!

Karly said...

The "business time" comment cracked me up! What a hoot! I do hope all continues to go well with your furry friends!

Carrie said...

Maria you are soooo brave!!! Do post pictures! :)