...because we all have our motley moments!


Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Perfect Gift

I know, I know. I shouldn't cave in to the evil marketing tactics used on children to make them pressure their parents to buy certain toys for Christmas.

But...

I just KNOW my girls are going to be SO excited when they see that Barbie Diamond Castle under the tree this year!


They've been pining for it from the time they saw it advertised on Barbie.com (this site since banned at our household for advertising reasons). I showed them how much it was and related it to the price equalling 90 visits to the dollar store for them. We looked at the calendar and counted 90 days and their eyes got really big when they understood how much it costs.

We then discussed them saving up their chore money to buy it someday. This went over pretty well, but in the back of my mind I realized how hopeless that could be. So, after much deliberation in my mind, I set out to buy it for Christmas.

Well, since I waited a while, I didn't realize how good the Barbie Marketing Team was and I quickly saw the limited quanities available. Last week Amazon was selling it for $224! Can you say rip-off? Needless to say I was thrilled beyond belief when called Target in Kissimmee and they said they had ONE LEFT! I FLEW over there and picked that puppy up that very morning. Wow! What a rush. The best part was that it was on sale! "Saved" 20 bucks.

It does get a little crazy from there because the Barbie people are offering a $50 Visa Prepaid Card if you buy a total of $100 worth of Barbie products. OK. So of course I had to buy the doll and horse & carriage as well.






Now, as it turns out I also need to buy Princess Liana too because Princess Alexa and Princess Liana are best buds and one has to be with the other.




In between all that, I had to call Mattel and confirm exactly which princess dolls were part of the promotion. I should have known that the princess dolls at Publix that are 50% off (only $6.00) do not qualify. They have to be the SINGING princess dolls.

Whew!

Well, that's that. I really hope the castle is all they hoped for. I really do!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Cute post, Maria, and it is making me nostalgic for my own Barbie days...

You were so right to get Princess Liana. Princess Alexa can't live in that big old house by herself! Your girls are going to be sooooo excited Christmas morning!

I really liked the way you explained to the girls how much the castle cost--I'm going to file that away for when my little guy gets older and we need to discuss money. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I think one of the dolls comes with the castle or at least it did with ours.

Pam said...

How sweet! I bet you can't wait for Christmas morning either!

Donna said...

Too funny, Maria! Way to resist those marketing tactics...;-D

Liz said...

Your post cracked me up! I think we all fall prey to those marketing campaigns occasionally, at least this time of year. Your girls are going to be ecstatic on Christmas morning!

Carrie said...

Oh your girls are going to LOVE it!!! ;)