...because we all have our motley moments!


Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hodgepodge

This morning my Facebook status read, "Liz does not know what to blog about today. Suggestions?" I have lots of smart-alecky friends who suggested various topics, so I will attempt to cover each and tie them together somehow. We'll call it a creative test of my writing ability (or expose - that's for you, Pam - of my inability to write). 
1. Which bear is best? I would have to say Pooh Bear. (Bears, beets, Battlestar Gallactica) When I was a kid he was my favorite. I called him Winnie Pooh because I thought that was his first and last name. I was so happy when Pooh became one of Ethan's favorite movies because it's such a sweet, gentle story. Which leads me to...
2. ...a review of some cartoons. Dora freaks me out. Her head is huge. And those eyes! Who drew that and thought it was an accurate representation of a young Hispanic girl? I prefer the Backyardigans or even Olivia. I love how Olivia calls William her little brother and Ian her little "bother." The Backyardigans use their imaginations and travel to distant lands, which sometimes includes China, 
3. where paper was originally developed. Quoting from Wikipedia, "Cai Lun, an official attached to the Imperial court during the Han Dynasty, created a sheet of paper using mulberry and other bast fibers along with fishnets,"
4. which are, of course, used to catch fish. Fish can be cleaned, cooked, pulverized, breaded, fried, packaged, and sold at your local grocery store in boxed labled, "FISHSTICKS", 
5. which happen to be delicious on a bun with some cheese. I would use American cheese for this creation, as it is the best melting cheese, but my favorite cheese is provolone. A good sharp cheddar is enjoyable, too, as is Swiss, which is one of the healthiest cheeses, being comparatively low in fat and cholesterol. I try to stay healthy, by eating right and practicing martial arts with one of my young friends,
6. RKL. (I don't want to use her full name since this is in bloggyland for just anyone to read). RKL is 12 but don't let that fool you - she is a gifted martial artist, a devoted Christian, and funny, funny, funny. We have loads of laughs at tkd, although RKL thought Adam Putnam was the mayor of Lake Wales, so she might not be a good candidate for Jeopardy!,
7. one of my all-time favorite shows. Jeopardy! is AWESOME. I haven't watched it in quite some time because we turn the TV off at night before Ethan goes to bed. I did have the DVR set to record it every night - yes, I am that much of a geek - but rarely had time to catch up on old episodes. I miss it, though, even more than I miss
8. Micah's curls. Yes, ladies, I got my baby's hair cut for the first time last Friday. He had these gorgeous curls all over the back of his head and she cut them all off. I didn't want her to, but I was holding him and not really paying attention and before I knew what was happening, that beautiful blonde hair was all over the floor. I love it, though, and he strutted out of that hair salon because he knew he looked good. He looks like a little boy more than a baby now and he looks more like his brother than ever before. 
Whew! This is probably my worst post ever, but I did it. I incorporated all of the ideas my friends suggested on Facebook. Let's hope I get creative in the future and don't do this again!

9 comments:

Rachel said...

I totally agree with you about Dora, and I do love the Backyardigans, but it does bother me that I can't figure out what a couple of them are supposed to be. The penguin is easy, and there is a moose? I think, but what about the other two? I love Mission to Mars so much I bought it on DVD. We're goin' to Mars...

Jeopardy is OK if you like feeling inferior, but I like game shows like The Wall on Fox where the contestants have to fit through oddly shaped holes or they get pushed into a pool. I know, I have issues.

Liz, I am actually quite impressed with this post. Could be kind of a fun game in the future--we could give each other random topics and see how it all fits together!

Maria said...

Loved it! Wow - you don't even try and you come up with a great post! Kudos.

Lindsay said...

Brilliant! I am truly amazed!
I am also a huge fan of Winnie the Pooh. While Nick and I were dating he bought me all of the large stuff animals over time, so I have most of the collection.

I too love the Backyardagains, Pablo is a Penguin, Tyrone is a Moose, Tasha is a hippo, Austin is a kangaroo, and Uniqua is......Unique (seriously that was there intention). I think the point is to show that all different kinds or "people" can get along and be friends.

Pam said...

Great work! You did it. It was very fun and I was always excited to see how it would tie to the next item. My personal fav. was cheese - fish and cheese on bun. I have never been catholic, but I love lent :)

Liz said...

Thanks for all the good comments!
Rachel, did you know that Boinga's mom in that episode of the Backyardigans is voiced by Alicia Keyes?
Pam, when I was in elementary school in Montana, on Fridays we always had fish sandwiches. It was a fish patty with a slice of American cheese on top UNDER THE BREADING. It was amazing.

hgrenier said...

Bravo! You linked the randomness so well!!

Rachel said...

I did know that Boinga's mom is Alicia Keys. I'm always amazed by the guest stars they get for cartoons. Macy Gray was on an episode of Blue's Clues once. Amazing.

American cheese UNDER the breading? How does that work?

Liz said...

In the Super Secret Spy movie Cyndi Lauper sings with Uniqua.
I don't know how to do cheese under the breading, but it was fantastic. And they had a jukebox in the cafeteria that always played Weird Al's "Eat It." What a great elementary school that was! It's shut down now.

Lori said...

Nice job! :)