...because we all have our motley moments!


Monday, February 22, 2010

Love Lift Us Up Where We Belong, Where the Eagles Cry...

"Even the youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

~ Isaiah 40:30-31
One of our favorite winter pastimes has been watching the eagles. We live about 10 miles from a beautiful Lock and Dam on the Mississippi River. Each January and February, the eagles migrate here because the open water from the dam enables them to fish. Some years, people have counted over 600 eagles in the immediate area. On our side of the river, there are usually only about 10-15. We love watching them soar.

This is a frozen wetland between the river and the path we take through the woods. Mom, see how much land is between us and the Mississippi River? The river is on the far right, and our trail is on the far left on the other side of the trees. She has been afraid for weeks that we would slip and fall in to the frozen water. I guess Moms never quit worrying no matter how old their children are.

The last time we went, the snow had melted and then froze over again. Our trail was a solid sheet of ice. My husband and son had a ball sliding on the ice.


I love this picture of the outhouse. Let's hope I will never have to use it!


Here is another shot of an eagle. My camera is very basic, so this is about as close and detailed as I can get. On our first trip to the dam, we met a man who drove down from Chicago. He had a GIANT camera. He was a professional. The last time we were there, we met a man who flew all the way from California just to see our eagles.
So does anybody have any eagle questions? dam questions? :) Sorry, I couldn't resist!

4 comments:

Liz said...

Beautiful pictures! And, of course, I loved the "dam questions." :)

Donna said...

Pam, I really like your dam story today. Also the eagles. And please don't walk so close to the water. ;)

Lindsay said...

Mom's never stop worrying, but thanks for sharing your dam story with us. :)

Beautiful pictures.

Lori said...

Pam, I loved the story. Even the joke. No, Moms never stop worrying. When I don't worry about you kids, I worry over my grandkids. Even thought it seems I worry to much I am thankful for the gift God has given me. The eagles are beautiful and they teach us lessons that God will provide and we can soar over our problems if we listen and trust in God.
I love you, thank you for your stories, they are a gift to me.
Mom