...because we all have our motley moments!


Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day

According the the Department of Labor's website, the celebration of Labor Day, "a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country," dates back to the late 1800's.

As I read this site to glean some historical perspective of this holiday, I thought back to my own history with it. As a child, the meaning of it was an extra day with daddy home to play with me. As a school-aged girl, it marked the end of summer vacation and the beginning of the new school year (I grew up in Connecticut and school began after Labor Day). My family used to watch the Jerry Lewis MDA telethon that weekend, so our special treat was being able to stay up "all night" -- my sister and I would drag our pillows and blankets to the living room (back in the dark ages when we only had one TV per househould) and bunk there. That brought back some great memories for me.

I wonder what memories our daughter will associate with Labor Day as she grows up and looks back on it and what memories you may have. Whatever they are, enjoy the day with those you love.

No comments: