...because we all have our motley moments!


Sunday, February 15, 2009

A little of this, a little of that...

I don't really have a well-developed blog post for today, but I have a ton of mini-could-be-blog-posts/observations/musings from our day out at the State Fair yesterday, so how about a blog sampler?

Everybody Loves a Show, No Matter Who They Are or How Many Times They Have Seen It Before...

The State Fair boasted a Shark Tank this year, and of course we went to see the show. As I stood there looking at the sea of people waiting for the small door on the "shark tank" to open, however, I was struck by something. All of us were in Florida, many of us live here, and the majority of those who live here have seen a shark before, either in captivity or in the wild. Personally, I have been to Sea World dozens of times and seen huge shark tanks in theme parks and aquariums, and I would bet that I wasn't the only one.

So, why were we crammed into this expo center?



To see this guy dance with a shark and then pretend to play it like a guitar, of course.



Anything Tastes Better Fried, Especially Things That Aren't Good For You in the First Place...



Deep-fried Oreo Cookies. I don't feel the need to elaborate any on that one.

I Guess They Have to Do Something to Pass the Time Between Acts...

I just don't think clowns are funny. We went to the circus, and this clown who strongly resembled Pee Wee Herman "entertained" us in between the actual acts. OK, I get it--you're a big guy riding a little tiny tricycle. Yay for you. Now can we get on with seeing people stick their heads into wild animals mouths, please?

Lemonade Is Magic...

Towards the end of the day our son started throwing a major fit. He was tired, and it had been a long day, but this was one impressive tantrum. We walked past a prayer tent, and I was seriously concerned that the evangelist might come out and lay hands on him because he was screaming so hysterically.

In a last-ditch effort to get out of the gate without being questioned for kidnapping, we stopped for lemon shake-ups. Suddenly, our screaming child morphed into content one, happily sipping on his "memomade" and counting the number of lemons on the cup. I'm definitely storing that little remedy away for future reference!



Kids Say the Darnedest Things...

This actually happened at the mall after we left the fair. Our son was still under the influence of the Vitamin C and sugar, so we felt like we could go in for a while.

I was looking at some pants, and our son walked over, took them from me and said, "No Mommy, no fit. No fit. Too [s]mall. Too [s]mall." He then hung them on the rack and repeated himself. Now, I'm sure he was just imitating me from our forays into buying his pants since they are usually too short. He couldn't have been calling me too fat to fit into the pants, could he???

2 comments:

Donna said...

Too funny! I'm with you on the clown thing. They're always hanging around downtown for the once a month Saturday Antiques and Oddities show, so we get approached by a clown at least once a month to ask if our son wants his face painted. Even at age five, he still hides behind my leg, eyes downcast, as he whispers "No, thank you." I can't blame him...it is a bit overwhelming to be personally approached by a clown in full get-up. He's never liked clowns and probably never will.

Liz said...

That picture of the guy rockin' the shark is classic! I'm glad you had fun at the fair. And I'm sure your little guy wasn't insinuating that you couldn't fit into the pants. :)