...because we all have our motley moments!


Thursday, February 5, 2009

Big Events

The past two weeks have been pretty exciting 'round here at the ol' Sebring domicile. Last week I decided that by God, Ethan was getting potty trained. I literally dragged him into the bathroom kicking and screaming several times. And I've read all the books and I know you're supposed to let them do it when they're ready and not punish them, blah blah blah, but my kid is stubborn. Obstinate to the core. So I had to punish him. I had to force the issue. I had to give him time-outs and pops on the hiney for not cooperating. When he did actually go pee in the potty, I made a huge deal. We did the dance of joy down the hallway. I gave him M&M's. I gave him stickers - one on each hand. I told everyone I've ever met. He is now going pretty regularly and even went in a PUBLIC RESTROOM at Animal Kingdom on Saturday. It's the most amazing thing I've ever seen. It's such a freeing feeling. Now, if I could just get him to stop pooping in his Pull-Ups...
Micah also had a big week. He walked! He had taken a couple of little steps, but last week he started taking 5-6 steps at a time. It helped to have his Grandma's cane to lure him. For some reason he loves that cane. He would rather walk to it than to his own mother. 
This week is birthday week. No, I did not intend to have 2 children within the same week (2 years apart, of course), but my anniversary is the end of May. Do the math. Micah's birthday was Tuesday. The whole fam-damily and some close friends came over for supper and cupcakes. Yesterday some friends met us at the train park for a picnic and more cupcakes. Today I'm taking in a special snack (Lightning McQueen fruit snacks, apple juice, and cookies) for Ethan's preschool class, and tomorrow night we are having another dinner with the family and close friends because it's Ethan's birthday. I am going to attempt to make Ethan a Thomas the Train cake. I will probably post pictures of this "cake wreck" next week. I am not crafty AT ALL (a quick confession: sometimes when I go to MOPS and I see the table set up for crafts, I break into a cold sweat and want to run away), but I'm going to try my best for my lil guy. I can't believe I planned all this partying so close together. This is compounded by the fact that Todd and I spent Sunday puking our guts up and then Monday recovering. I'm still not totally well, evidenced by the fact that I have had not one single cupcake. 
I realize that I'm rambling. That's probably because I made the coffee this morning and I always make it a little too strong. I just wanted to share with you the big events that have happened in my kids' lives since I last wrote. I can't believe that as of tomorrow, I have a 1-year-old and a 3-year-old. And that one of them is walking and one of them is going pee in the potty. Time sure does fly. Now, if any of you have any suggestions for getting them to poop in the potty...

5 comments:

Maria said...

The funniest thing I've heard and tried is to drop a Hershey's kiss in the toilet when the kid is trying really, really hard to poop in the toilet. No one will be more surprised than your child to see a poop actually hit the bowl. It's the funniest thing in the world! I'm not sure how effective it is, but it sure is funny as anything. LOL!

Liz said...

That's hilarious, Maria! I will have to try that.

Donna said...

Liz,

I have a train cake pan just like the one over at Williams-Sonoma: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku8239147/index.cfm?pkey=cbaking%2Ddecorating

You're welcome to borrow it if you'd like!

Congrats on all the milestones! Man, it has been a busy week for you! Hope you're all feeling better. Sorry we missed the park party!

Liz said...

Thanks, Donna. I actually made 5 layers of all different sizes and I'm going to create a mountain with train tracks to put Thomas and his friends on. We missed you at the train park!

Rachel said...

Liz, be sure to post some pics of the train cake--I'm dying to see how it turned out. It must have been adorable!