...because we all have our motley moments!


Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Things Fall Apart


I am just about always up for an adventure. I mean, isn't a trip to the Wal-Mart can be an adventure, right? Well, last week I convinced some other Motley Moms to go strawberry picking. And, it was a total bust. Apparently, because of the economy (I ended up calling the Florida Strawberry Growers Association) they are now waiting to open the fields up for u-pick until the very end of the growing season. They are trying to get most of the fruit to fresh market, explained the nice lady who answered. This, after we drove for about 1 1/2 hours with the kids strapped in car seats.


Aren't I an awesome friend? [Read:Sarcasm] Everyone was very gracious. They did not slap or yell at me, which I am sure I deserved. And we ended stopping at a big mall and letting the kids play on the playland area for a bit. But, it was not strawberry picking. And it was my fault. I suppose I should have "googled it" before we left. I last went strawberry picking 2 years ago in February...last year I was too pregnant and tired to even try.


On the way home, we all split up. The kids were all at different stages of tired and my own both napped for a bit (very abnormal for us). We did end up stopping at some second-hand and used furniture stored for a bit of searching. My kids are just used to my antics, I think. Mostly because I call just about everything (especially things they may not think are fun...like going to the Wal-Mart) an adventure. And, these days are some of my favorites. Nothing specific planned and we just get in the car and go.


We stopped at a little park for about 20 minutes and then stopped at a museum in Bartow. We looked at old pictures and decided we could have been pioneers. [Personally, I think we need a goat and some chickens, but I don't think that would go over well with my hubby, or our neighbors, or our church next door, or anyone but me and the kids.] We poked through some more antique stores and found a few little treasures.

I really did have a fun time. My friends, I hope you did, too. It wasn't what I expected, but it was fun. Now I am starting to think about a trip to the beach. And I was just reading this weekend that Florida is home to 100+ of the largest trees on record in the country. I think we may have to try to visit each one. Whatever it is, another adventure awaits!!

What adventures have you been on lately? Planned or unplanned? Which is better?

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Bryssy, we had an awesome time, even if it wasn't exactly as we planned it. Regardless, we did find a blueberry farm for later, so that was worthwhile in itself! I just wish my son and I could have hung in there at the end--sounds like you found some good shopping after the mall! I did manage to get the little guy into a CVS (of course), but that was as far as we got--he was worn out from playing at the mall.

Any adventure, whether it goes as planned or not, is great when we're with friends! Besides, this is a funny story to tell later. If we had actually picked strawberries it might not have been so memorable. :)

Maria said...

I love your attitude, girlie! Count me IN for your next beach adventure!

Teresa said...

We had a great time on our adventure. The kids had a blast playing at the playground and it was fun to catch up with you girls! Later in the week, our daughter "picked" strawberries at the fruit stand :)