...because we all have our motley moments!


Saturday, May 23, 2009

Building My Storm Shelter

What is holding me back? I have been planning to write a children's book for years now and for whatever reason, it's just not happening. I'm not even really attempting to get started. What's my problem?

I think I'm cutting myself short anytime I think about this goal. I'm really good at psyching myself out of being a writer: "I don't have any ideas." "I'm not good enough." "I don't have any connections to agents or publishers." "I'll never get published." "I don't have time." "I don't have any creative energy left after I give the kids what they need." Wah. Wah. Wah. Blah. Blah. Blah.

It's so much easier not to try. To let my wheels slow down and sink into the mud, the negative thoughts pelting down, lashing at my confidence, soaking me in a storm of my own thunderous making. I am my own worst enemy.

Now I need to get really good a psyching myself into giving this a shot. I will have the time this summer, the energy, and the inspiration. Both kids will go to children's programs every morning of every weekday, all summer long. I will be writing from a place that gives me peace, surrounded by mountains and overlooking a glinting, silver blue lake. I will NOT have any excuses not to write. I feel tingly just thinking about my own possibilities. The ideas are swirling in my head. Now I need to draw my confidence about me like an overcoat against the storm's barrage and begin my mantra: "I think I can. I think I can. I think I can...."

9 comments:

Pam said...

I have read in more than one place that a writer writes. The hardest part is just getting started. I know you can do this, and I am depending on you to do it first so you can help me find a publisher :)

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

The hardest part of writing a paper for school was starting it. Once I started it seem less daunting. I always had to say to myself "Just write something and you can change it later if you need to, but just get something down!"

Donna- you are a great writer (I look forward to reading your articles every week!) I am excited for you! Starting is always the hardest part. It sounds like you have a good plan, which I think will help. Also if you need some one to illustrate for your book let me know! I LOVE LOVE to draw!

Donna said...

Interesting proposal, Fawnda! I may be in touch with you by summer's end. I've thought about auditing some art classes at the local community college, just because it's something I've always dabbled in. I enjoy drawing and painting, but I'm not sure my skills are on par with a publisher's expectations (or my own, for that matter!) and beautiful illustrations really are half the fun with storybooks!

Rachel said...

For what it's worth, some of the best books come about as an offshoot of everyday life. I remember a scene in the movie about Loretta Lynn where she is supposed to sing in a studio and she just isn't getting it. Her husband brings in the kids and tells her to sing to them like they do at home, and, well, it worked! We know the rest of the story!

You have such a creative mind, Donna, and you do so many neat things with your kids, there must be a children's book in there somewhere! Good luck!

Maria said...

You can do it! I look forward to buying a copy of your book in the future. Will you autograph it for me? I'm serious.

Lindsay said...

You can do.....and I really mean that. You are a very talented writer, and you love kids which is all you need to be succesful. I agree with Fawnda, just get something down on paper. Your first attempt may not be the final book you turn in but it will get you started in the right direction. Best of luck to you!

Donna said...

Thanks, girls! If I don't give it a try, I'll just continue doubting myself, then hating myself for being a wuss and talking myself out of it. I have to try. And yes, if I ever get published, you'll definitely get an autographed copy, Maria! (you'll have to buy it first, though) ;-D

Tara said...

Very inspiring post....you can do it! Like the Nike slogan says, "Just do it!"

hgrenier said...

My friend April Sampson has her own publishing company here in Lake Wales... Just saying...