...because we all have our motley moments!


Thursday, July 9, 2009

Vacay

Today my husband and I are going on vacation. We are going to Maine for a week, which is the longest we've ever been away from our children. The next longest was in November, when we went to NYC for 3 days/2 nights. We really, really need this vacation. I have been under a lot of stress, some of which is caused by others, but most of which just has to do with life. I don't like saying that I need a break from my children, but I'm going to say it. I need a break from my children. My husband has been under a lot of stress, too, some of which is the same stress as me, some of which is due to his demanding job and to the fact that while we are on vacation we are having the floors refinished in our house, and he and 3 teenagers from church had to move all the furniture out. My kids and I were at the beach with my in-laws while Todd took care of all this stuff and as soon as he got here, Ethan got sick. High fever, sore throat, restless sleep. We called the doctor to get antibiotics and he has gotten a little better, but yesterday Micah woke up with a fever. We shlepped the kids to Winter Haven to see the doctor, who said it's probably a virus (oh, and did I mention Ethan puked on the way to the doctor?), then came back to the beach. We talked and talked and argued about whether or not we need to even go to Maine. I said yes, Todd wasn't so sure. We finally agreed we would and let me tell you, I am downright giddy. I haven't slept in months and my throat kind of hurts, but I am so excited to be getting away. Today we are off to Orlando and then we fly to Portland in the morning. I can hardly wait! I know that we will miss our kids and it doesn't help that Ethan had a meltdown right before nap and Micah woke up screaming, but I am still glad we are doing this. We need this. And our kids need us to do this. I am not a fan of Dr. Phil, but I agree with one thing I heard him say: "A good marriage is the best gift you can give your children." I know that we will turn into different people. We will sleep, relax, laugh. I don't care if I spend the whole time in a deck chair reading. I know this trip will do me, and Todd, good. So now, without further ado, GOODBYE!

5 comments:

Maria said...

Girlfriend,
HAVE A GREAT TIME!

Trips with hubby are the BEST! The kids will totally be fine and you will LOVE having adult time with your sweetie.

:)

Donna said...

Hope you have a relaxing, rejuvenating getaway!

Mrs. Linder said...

ENJOY!!! & no worries, we'll spoil them with love & some discipline too. They need a break from ya'll too. :)

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

It must be Vacation Week! You Rachel, and Karly are all all talking vactions! I hope you all have a good time!

Lindsay said...

I think getting away from your kids from time to time is super important. It's good for you personally, it's great for a marriage, and it's good for you kids. Partly because they get see that their parents love each other, but partly because it's good for them to bond with grandparents (or other relatives/friends) and be under someone else's care for a bit. Plus like someone said, sometimes they need a break from us too.

Enjoy, relax, and have a ton of fun!!!