...because we all have our motley moments!


Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Computer Games

We have recently equipped our children with a new device... a computer of their own.

I had my doubts about it at first. Will they destroy it? Will they spend too much time on it? Will they fight over it?

Well, after about 2 months it looks like it is one of the best things we did for them and myself. They love it and I love it.

Now, it took some doing. We started with an older computer, then I had to figure out how to connect it to the Internet that I have on my primary desktop. I had to buy an adapter and install it. This was easier said than done.

Once I figured that out, I then had to get the security systems set up so that the kids couldn't see anything bad on it. We use Besure Online on our computers. I hardly ever see any pop-ups and it does a great job screening undesirable things. The whole project took a couple of weeks.

Next, I downloaded their games. They like to play Hello Kitty, Cabbage Patch Dolls, Spirit the game, Care Bears, Nemo and Publix Preschool Pals.

The beauty of having the internet on their computer is that I can set up their favorite websites beforehand and they can just click the ones they feel like playing with when they want to. Their favorites are Starfall (I love this one!), PBS kids, Dave Ramsey kid games (Junior's Clubhouse), National Geographic for kids, Noggin, Karito Kids, Zoology, Highlights and Crayola.

I now can do my work on the computer and they can do theirs. It's worked out well in that we just set a 20 minute time limit for each of them if there's an issue. They actually don't play on it all the time. They also are pretty careful with the computer. I attribute that to the CompuChild computer classes they took at their pre-school twice monthly (I highly recommend these classes!). My kids amaze me by how much they know about computers at ages 5 and 7.

How do you guys feel about kids and computers?

3 comments:

Donna said...

That's awesome, Maria! When Emma gets a bit older, we may have to bite the bullet and do this for our kids, too!

Pam said...

Alex shares ours. I was really hesitant to let him use it at first, but he needed some help with his uisual motor skills, so I gave in. Right now, he only knows about Playhouse Disney and PBS kids. I think it is good in moderation, like you are doing for your girls.

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

My Little kings is 19 months old and loves to sit on my lap when I am at the computer. He wants to press the buttons so bad and he already knows how to work the mouse. It is amazing how much they learn so early!