...because we all have our motley moments!


Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Discovery



Today, our son learned a very important lesson. He learned that when he drinks milk from a straw and exhales rather than inhales, some pretty cool bubbles result. A messy lesson, but an important one nonetheless. What really amazes me is that I didn't instruct him to blow through the straw--he had that idea on his own.

It makes me think of my own childhood and the cool lessons I learned along the way. Do you remember the first time you put a marshmallow in the microwave and watched it grow into a ginormous blob? Did you ever try to fry an egg on the sidewalk to see if it would really work? Anyone try to start a fire with a magnifying glass?

The little guy went to his first day of preschool today, and while we are excited to see him begin his journey into "official" learning, the bubbles were a fun reminder that the world is his classroom and some of the best lessons (or the most fun ones, anyway) are self-guided. Here's to discovery! May it serve him well.

So, what are your kids up to these days?

8 comments:

Liz said...

I totally burned ants with a magnifying glass.

Rachel said...

Did you ever dissolve snails with salt? Ask my cousin Tenille about that one!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

My son is amazed that when he blows a raspberry with his tounge he can spit on himself... he loves it!

Donna said...

My kids have recently discovered that if they run around the yard stomping on all the mushrooms, many, MANY more mushrooms appear the very next day! Yea!

Liz said...

Yeah, I actually dissolved a snail fairly recently. I know, I'm so immature.

Rachel said...

Donna, that's like blowing on the dandelions when they turn puffy--so much fun to do, and it makes great pictures, but there are tons of weeds born from that practice!

Seriously, Liz, recently? Wow. ;)

Rachel said...

Fawnda, my son loves to spit on himself and others, too! What is it with saliva??? ;)

Pam said...

So fun! It is always good to remember that the world is a GREAT classroom. We learned more by hanging out with all of you last year than we would have on our own, and the informal setting was different/better than school for us at the time.