...because we all have our motley moments!


Saturday, September 12, 2009

Random Ramblings and Falling IQ's

I used to be eloquent. I could remember exactly what I wanted to say, even in the middle of saying it. I could speak intelligently, with a beginning, a middle, and an end. People understood me. I remembered dates, times, names, and faces with no problem. I could make a phone call and remember who I called, even after several rings.

Now, I have to glance at my phone screen to see whose number I dialed. Sometimes even after they have answered. WHAT is that?!

I make plans, immediately forget to write it on my calendar, and then recall the check I wrote for an event I should be at right now. Surprise!

I garble my words, especially when I'm tired. No one can understand me. Not even me. And then I forget what I was trying to say in the middle of saying it.

I can NEVER think of the word I want. It stays cemented to the tip of my brain, taunting me with the knowledge of its existence and my inability to deliver it.

Now I just go on and on about random things like Quakers and furniture and lack of sufficient discipline all in one speech that should be about, I don't know, say "summer vacation." And it doesn't even occur to me that it's unusual until I realize people are jokingly referring to my propensity for winding speeches involving Quakers, removal of furniture, and discipline. Hm.

Who is this person? Is motherhood to blame? Has my IQ actually dropped because of it? WHAT is going on?

11 comments:

Liz said...

Three words: L.O.L.
Oh, and you described me perfectly. Except for the Quakers.

Tara Wheat said...

Too funny, Donna. I know the feeling! But I could never express it so clearly ;-)

Pam said...

I'm pretty sure that rambeling about Quakers IS socially acceptable in all social settings. :)

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

I think the same thing has happend to me... I don't even know what day it is most of the time.

Donna said...

If any of you are Quakers, please know that I love all Quakers and only use sweeping generalizations when I'm saying something positive. Usually.

Tara said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one! lol I have this habit of starting sentences and never finishing them. I've been trying so hard not to do it, it makes it worse. I guess it's the wear and tear of life.

Liz said...

If it's any consolation, Donna, you're still relatively eloquent when you write. :)

Karly said...

Amen, Sista! I feel your pain!! I never did take an IQ test prior to having children, so I will never know how many points my IQ has dropped. But the random ramblings, YES! I will be right in the middle of a sentence when...Oh, look a chicken! Now, what was I saying? SEE!!!

Donna said...

Liz, thanks for the relatively flattering compliment!
Karly, I didn't take an IQ test pre-babies either, but I'm relatively certain it hasn't improved over time!

Rachel said...

That's funny, Tara--I have trouble finishing sentences, too. Must be genetic. ;)

Donna, I'm there, too. If I didn't wear my watch every day I would have trouble remembering what day it was. At least if we're going to lose our IQ's we can all do it together! ;)

Lindsay said...

I always say that I gave birth to part of my brain when I delivered. :)