...because we all have our motley moments!


Thursday, September 24, 2009

Vindication at the Pediatrician's Office

I seriously feel like I live at the pediatrician's office. There was a period of 7 weeks last winter that we were in there once a week. Micah had a cough, Ethan had an ear infection, then pinkeye, Micah needed shots, etc., etc. I worry sometimes that the office staff or even the doctor is going to think I'm paranoid. I really don't think I am, though. Well, maybe once. When Ethan was 3 months old he threw up twice in a row so I took him to see the pediatrician. That one time the doctor seemed a little irritated, but not since. They really are very nice. Anyway, 3 weeks ago I had to go back. Ethan had this crust on his scalp that had been there several months. I thought it was dandruff, so we switched shampoo and then went to using Head & Shoulders all the time, but nothing worked. I still thought maybe it was just dry scalp or something, but it had been so long I thought I'd better call the doctor. While we were in the waiting room, Micah was looking at the fish and I saw the same crust on his scalp. Uh-oh. The doctor's diagnosis for both kids? Ringworm. I know - disgusting, right? It's not actually a worm, it's a fungal infection. I think I would rather it be a worm because it takes a long time to get rid of fungal infections. 40 days of pills twice a day for both kids. Fortunately, we've been able to crush it up and put it in their milk and they don't notice. Anyway, about 2 weeks after the ringworm visit, Ethan came down with a fever and started crying about his ear hurting. I hated going back so quickly, especially since when I called the receptionist knew who I was and said good-naturedly, "Were y'all just in here?" I said, "Yeah, I feel like we live there," so she would know (hopefully) that I'm not crazy and I think these visits seem excessive, as well. Her response was, "Ah, the joys of having 2 kids." Ethan's ear was very infected; so bad, in fact, that the doctor could barely see his eardrum. We left with lollipops, a prescription for antibiotics, and a sigh of relief for Mommy. See, I wanted to announce to the waiting room? I'm not crazy! My kid is really sick!
I don't know why I feel like I'm putting the doctor out by taking my kid to see him. I mean, that's what he's there for - to treat sick kids. I can't expect myself to take care of every medical problem. I can deal with a 24-hour bug, a cold, or minor cuts and scrapes. But I can't see inside their ears, nor can I diagnose ringworm. I didn't go to medical school, for crying out loud! Is this just part of the "supermommy" disease? Or is it my southern upbringing - be a quiet "lady" and don't bother anyone? What IS that? I'm still taking my kids to the doctor for scalp crust and ear pain, though, no matter how often I have to go to that germy place.

7 comments:

Maria said...

I know how you feel! Sometimes I'm actually HAPPY when the doctor diagnoses something because then that means I didn't just spend the entire morning and $20 on just my paranoia.

Having kids teaches a person waaaaay more than you really want to know about health issues, huh!

Pam said...

I think being a mom would be easier if I would just go to school to be a nurse. I told Alex's fisrt pediatrician that I was there to help fund his early retirement. Great post - you are so funny!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

I HATE it when I go to the Doctor and they tell me it is a virus and we just have to wait it out. That is the worst! I want them to tell me that it is something and give me some drugs to make it better!

Karly said...

I can relate, Liz. I am always trying to decide where the line is between paranoia and laziness. I really do not like taking them to the doctor, but when I do not take them, it always ends up being something really bad that just gets worst until I finally take them. If I do take them right away, then it is usually nothing! AHHHHHHH! It can be so tricky and frustrating. I am so glad you were vindicated. Hey, what does this ringworm rash look like? My daughter has really dry skin on her head that won't seem to go away. Now I am wondering if I should take her in for a look-see.

Liz said...

It just looks like big patches of dry skin and if it comes off, it will take hair with it. That's the only "danger" of ringworm - the hair loss - otherwise it's just kind of gross.

Lindsay said...

This is the one area of parenting that I can't relate with people. Other than stiches for Sage (twice-once in the ER, and once at the doctor), and one foot x-ray (also Sage), and 1 round of antibiotics for Avery's pink eye. I have never taken the kids to the doctor other than well-baby. None of my kids have an an ear infection, and only Avery has been on antibiotcs and only that was once. Capri has never been to the Dr other than well-baby. I guess I am just lucky in this area.....

Donna said...

Definitely lucky, Lindsay! Your immune systems must be rock solid!!!

Ethan was looking healthy this week (I saw him at school on Tues., I think). I guess the antibiotics did their job!

Karly, I seem to be an extremist as well. They either aren't sick enough to have warranted the all-morning jaunt and wait in the dr.'s office, or I waited so long to bring them in that I feel guilty bc the double ear infection is really bad now. Ugh! I swear I need to order one of those ear thingies so I can see for myself before we go. Don't know what I'd be looking for in their ears, but definitely something suspiciously red or oozie, right? How hard can it be? ;o)