...because we all have our motley moments!


Saturday, October 25, 2008

Claiming My Adventure

Today you are You,
That is truer than true.
There is no one alive
Who is Youer than You.
Dr. Seuss


So, at MOPS on Thursday, we had such a small group, I thought I'd share some things we talked about during our Mentor Mom discussion with Miriam. We were talking about the loss of identity many of us face after becoming mothers. Many of us no longer have the time or energy to spend on pursuits solely for our own pleasure or personal growth. We forget who we are apart from the labels we have acquired: wife, mother, sister, teacher, daughter, etc.

Miriam's questions to us included:

"Are there parts of yourself you feel you've lost and you deeply desire to regain?"

"How do you define your identity? By your kids? Spouse? Career?"

And the last one was a doozy: "Can you believe that you were created with amazing potential and with gifts that only you can bring to the table? If not, what's holding you back from embracing this truth?"

Her challenge to us:

"Consider your own talents and interests God's gift to you. What is your purpose in life, and how can you use those gifts to fulfill God's plan for you? Carve a block of time from your daily mothering routine to focus on your own passions."

Hello, Motley Moms! This is exactly why I began this blog several months ago. It's my outlet, my sounding board, my connection to friends, my way of practicing one of my chosen crafts. I hope Motley Moms is a blessing to you as it has been for me.

Thank you all for all your witty words of wisdom, shining examples of motherhood at its lowest, and inspirational reminders of the blessings we enjoy in this life. If this is not your passion, figure out what is and make a bit of time to develop it. Go find YOU!

Love,

Donna, Motley-est Mom of the Day!

5 comments:

Teresa said...

Wow...She is good. I am so glad you posted this since I missed the meeting!

I have never thought that I should actually carve me time. What a nice, relaxing thought!

Bryssy said...

I am not sure where the original "me" went, but I have just started to embrace the "me" I have become. Nice post, too bad I missed the meeting. Working stinks. :-(

Karly said...

I miss Miriam. She has such a great way of encouraging, inspiring, and empowering young mothers.

Motley Moms is definitely a great way for me to get some "me" time each day. It has helped me find my voice, laugh at my crazy life, connect with friends across the miles and it has served as a lifeline to other mommies on those really tough days. It has also encouraged me and gave me some really great ideas that I can't wait to try.

This has definitely been a blessing to me and I hope we are a blessing to the other moms who read our blog!

Liz said...

Thanks for this. It makes me feel less guilty about pursuing tae kwon do and kickboxing, even though I have to leave my kids with others to do so.

Donna said...

As moms, we do so much for so many others in our lives. It's definitely important to take some time for ourselves and indulge our passions. Ultimately, it's better for us and, in turn, better for our families.

Karly, I know you miss Miriam. You two seem like such kindred spirits. Miriam was thrilled to hear that you write for Motley Moms. It's great for us to have this connection with you!

I hope this post has inspired you Motley Moms (writers AND readers) to make some time for yourselves and rediscover who YOU are.