...because we all have our motley moments!


Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Fun Fall Things

Rachel got me thinking about Fall with her post the other day about her pumpkin muffins. They looked so good and they also inspired me to start brainstorming (that might be a bit strong) for ideas. That being said, I love to scour magazines, books and the Internet for ideas for all kinds of things. Being a teacher, I do almost nothing original. I prefer to say that I borrow the idea and make it my own. Here are a few things I've been thinking of cabbaging on to.

The Wack-O-Lantern (Just the name makes me love it!)

Use a mallet to pound golf tees into the pumpkin at random. (Won't THE Princess love this? I even think it looks kind of Martha-ish!) Remove and reuse the tees as you go. When you're done with poking fun, cut an opening around the stem with the carving knife (a job for an adult), remove the lid, and clean out the goop from inside. Place a candle inside the pumpkin and get your glow on.

Pumpkin Snowman

The pumpkin version of a snowman! Stack three pumpkins in graduated sizes, drilling holes through the pumpkins and inserting a large stick to secure. Add stick arms and a face using a black marker.

The Pumpkin Vase (An oldy but a goodie from Martha!)

Select as round a pumpkin as you can find. Cut off the top, and scoop out the inside pulp and seeds. Inside the pumpkin, place a plastic paint bucket or any plastic container that fits easily. Place a cube of Oasis floral foam inside the container, thinning it to fit. Press the foam down to make it level, and drench it with water (enough so that a small pool collects at the bottom of the container). Arrange seasonal flowers, dried leaves, and berries as desired.

Toasted Pumpkin Seeds (Not at all original, I know.)

I always save the seeds from any pumpkins that we carve or that I cook with and make roasted pumpkin seeds. They are easy to make. Separate the seeds from the pumpkin pulp, rinse them in a colander and pat them dry with a paper towel. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with Pam. Put in the oven at 300 F for 8 minutes. Stir and leave for another 8 minutes. I have flavored them with the traditional salt, and then tried other flavors. We have really liked paprika, cinnamon sugar, and red pepper. It makes them "designer" pumpkin seeds, don't you think?

Pumpkin Butter

I have to confess, I do this about every other year. I make and can pumpkin butter (similar to apple butter) to give as gifts. I'll get some pumpkins on the cheap right after Halloween, cook them down, and make pumpkin butter. Mmmmm...I hope I can wait that long!

What Fall ideas do you have? What are you working on?

10 comments:

Teresa said...

You didn't even mention your pumpkin caserole bake! That was delicious last year.

This year I want to try making my own pumpkin puree and add this to a few recipes!

I LOVE fall!

Donna said...

I made an October banner after I saw how cute this project could be at our last Girls' Nite Out.

I plan to make one for each month.

K Magill said...

Fun post! I'll be posting a link to it on my site soon!
havingfunathomeblog.blogspot.com

Bryssy said...

Ahhh..Dinner in a Pumpkin! Yes, I'll be making that for when I host Supper Club in October...a family tradition for sure!

Thanks, K! I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

Rachel said...

Neat ideas! I'm gonna try the Wack-O-Lantern with my son and nephew next week--they're both very good at pounding things! You're spice blend for the pumpkin seeds sounds yummy, too--I haven't made them in a while, but you've inspired me to try it again this year.

I made the pumpkin muffins last week, and they were scrumptious, but another favorite October breakfast treat for us is making pumpkin pancakes. We just add about a cup of pumpkin to the batter (I use the Hogsdon Mill Instabake mix and do the recipe on the back of the box) along with some spices, and it makes a more dense almost custard-y pancake, and they are really yummy.

Happy Fall!

Bryssy said...

That sounds great, Rachel! I'll have to try it. Sometimes I think I am a pumpkin snob because I don't like the stuff in the can. I just cook it down myself in my crockpot while I'm at work.

Bryssy said...

That sounds great, Rachel! I'll have to try it. Sometimes I think I am a pumpkin snob because I don't like the stuff in the can. I just cook it down myself in my crockpot while I'm at work.

Bryssy said...

That sounds great, Rachel! I'll have to try it. Sometimes I think I am a pumpkin snob because I don't like the stuff in the can. I just cook it down myself in my crockpot while I'm at work.

Bryssy said...

That sounds great, Rachel! I'll have to try it. Sometimes I think I am a pumpkin snob because I don't like the stuff in the can. I just cook it down myself in my crockpot while I'm at work.

Rachel said...

I think I am an extra work snob!! I only use the stuff in the can!! ;) I'm interested to hear about your dinner in a pumpkin--what goes into it? I had a dish like that in France and I've craved it ever since, but I don't know how to make it!