...because we all have our motley moments!


Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My Favorite Author

When you are asked, "What's your favorite book or who's your favorite author?" What do you say? I usually can't think of anything past Dick and Jane and a general princess book series. Today, however, I was reminded of an author that I have really liked in the past and now really, really admire in the present.

Anne Rice. Did you read the Vampire Chronicles and/or see the movie with Brad Pitt? I did. Loved them both. The books were dark and mysterious. Just the way I liked my stories. Then, a funny thing happened. I accepted Jesus as my Savior.

When I did (about 11 years ago), I just couldn't enjoy reading her books anymore. I was sad because she could really weave a story with her words in such a way that you felt like you were there in the story with the characters. The problem was, there were situations presented in the stories that I felt were not pleasing to God. I stopped reading her books. I think I might even have prayed for her at that time. As a new Christian, I prayed for a lot of people to see Jesus for who he really is, Lord of all.

Well, years passed. Then, I heard the most amazing thing! I heard Anne Rice became a Christian too! This was pretty incredible because she was a well-known Agnostic. She was really celebrated as such. For her to change like that was a pretty big deal in the literary circles.

After she accepted Christ as Lord, she then made the decision to write for Christ. She decided that all of her future writings would glorify God. Amazing. I'm not too sure her publishing company felt the same way.

She now has two books out about the life of Christ. She has taken her love of research and ability to weave a story into a beautiful account of what Jesus was like back then as a person.
If you find this interesting, I would like to take this opportunity to encourage each of you to go to www.focusonthefamily.com and click on the tape of yesterday's show featuring Anne Rice. Today, Dr. Dobson will continue his interview with her at noon on 91.1 FM in Central Florida. The way she describes how she became a Christian is so clear and well-spoken. I felt like she was detailing how I felt when I became a Christian too.
Below, I've included the Bio and photo from the website I mentioned above.
Guest Biography
Anne Rice is regarded as one of the most widely-read authors in modern history, as her novels have sold more than 75 million copies. Novels in her bestselling The Vampire Chronicles series include Interview with a Vampire and The Vampire Lestat. Her most recent book series is a trilogy titled Christ the Lord. Anne's late husband, Stan, passed away in 2002. Anne currently resides in California near her grown son.

5 comments:

Donna said...

That sounds very interesting. I was never into the vampire stories, but I also don't like the "fright" genre...I have a very active imagination and am very good at frightening myself.

Confession: I close my eyes when the Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights commercials come on. The images are just so disturbing! I'm a wimp.

Bryssy said...

I'm a wimp, too. I can't stand anything scary. I read the Vampire Chronicles in college and really didn't find them very scary at all. I thought the movie was worse than the book. (I HAD to watch that movie because Brad was in it - it's a rule of mine!)

I have heard of her new books and am anxious to read them!

Liz said...

I don't watch those commercials either, Donna. I'll see images in the mirror when I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. Thanks, Maria, I love new ideas for reading material!

Rachel said...

I've wanted to read Rice's new series for a while, so thank you for motivating me to do it! I never read the Vampire Chronicles, but I did read the other ones--was it the Witching Hour series? Anyway, I read them in college.

The Halloween Horror Nights commercials are out of control, and have you seen the billboards? You can't miss them driving on I-4 through Orlando. My son gets an eye-full every time we pass them whether I like it or not. They're creepy and disgusting.

Donna said...

Ahhhh, life in a tourist trap! I guess we can't shelter them from everything, can we?

Speaking of books...Maria, I really do want to borrow Have a New Kid By Friday when you're done with it...the behavior around here is out of control some days. I'm trying really hard not to say things more than once, but often I forget! He knows that he'll get away with things for a small percentage of the time (maybe more than I even realize), so it's worth it to him to risk a time-out. He plays the odds, hoping I will forget that I already told him to take care of his breakfast bowl, or go get dressed, or come inside, or use your walking feet in the house...talk about changing the subject of this post, huh?!

;-Donna