...because we all have our motley moments!


Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Down To One

We're down to one dog. Let me tell you, the two dogs we got from Animal Control a few months ago are awesome dogs. The problem is that one of them just can't take all the commotion that kids create constantly, so we found Charlie a home last week.

I am happy to report that all is well with him and us. He is thriving in his new home with his new Mommy. She spoils him rotten and he gets to take 5, yes five, walks every day. He's allowed on the couch and has already made new friends. I think if Sasha (our other dog) knew how good he has it now, she would be begging me to send her over there too. Heck! I want to live there!

If you have ever tried to relocate a family pet, then you know how difficult it can be. I have tried relocating pets before and have had varying degrees of success. It is rare that everything just works out perfectly, but in my case it actually did this time!

Now that he is gone, I have to say that it is really nice having only one doggie at a time. Before, they were best friends and their human family was secondary. This doesn't go over very well with kids. I saw a few sad looks on my girls' faces when they got dissed by the playing dogs.
The following photo is an example of their happy faces now that our dog likes to play with my girls. This is a photo of Sasha and my daughter on the boat this past weekend.
I thought of a few more reasons why it is nice having only one dog.

Top five reasons for having one dog:

1. It's cheaper

2. Only one dog barking and/or pooping in the house at a time

3. The one dog is nicer to us

4. It's much easier to walk one dog on a leash. One dog is also nicer to other dogs in the neighbor.

5. You don't have to do everything in two's because you don't want to "hurt" the other dog's feelings (petting, snacks, walks, etc...)

Have any of you relocated a family pet? How did it go?
Totally unrelated...
Can I brag? This is my other daughter water skiing for the first time behind the boat. I'm a proud Mama! She's 6. I think I was about 25 when I first tried to water ski. She got up on the first try!



5 comments:

Donna said...

Wow! I can't believe she is skiing already! Incredible!

We relocated our Golden Retriever, Toby, to my sister-in-law's home by the lake. She has lots of property AND another Golden/mix she adopted. These boys have such a ball together. I know we did the right thing for Toby. Our yard here in town is just too small for such a big dog AND two preschoolers. He was a bit too enthusiastic for me to walk him when I took the kids out in the stroller, so he rarely went for walks. Now he gets lots of attention and has an enthusiastic brother to play with all day! And my kids can play in the backyard without falling into dogpiles. It's a win/win.

Maria, I hope your family allows you on the couch soon. You're usually really well behaved. And, as for the walking, I bet your hubby wouldn't mind if you started walking, rather than driving your gas-guzzler into town. MOPS starts at 9:00 am on Thursday, so you better head out of your house around 6:00 if you want to make it on time. I know you envy your dog's privileges in his new home, but, if you get creative, you can find ways to enjoy the same privileges. Good luck!

;-Donna

Sherrie said...

Yeah! I love that you have her skiing already! I was five when I first was on skiis. I will be watching for her in the courses! :)

We relocated a golden retriever when we moved to FL. She was the best dog, and our baby before we had babies. But my hubby's friend worked at a christian kids camp and took her up there. she became the official camp dog. So i guess that a relocation can very much be better for the dog in the end. It is always hard to let go though.

Miss you all!

Sherrie

Maria said...

Donna, you are too funny! Toby has it pretty good. Is he allowed on the couch there? Maybe I should look at living there instead.

Sherrie,did you compete? What a sporty girlie you are! Did you continue? I'm sure we've talked about it, but I can't remember just now.

Liz said...

That is such a sweet picture - that one up there on the boat.

Maria said...

Thank you Liz! It makes me happy just looking at it.