...because we all have our motley moments!


Monday, October 13, 2008

Mirror Mirror on the Wall, Who's the Motley-est Mom of All?

It's me - for lots of reasons.

1. I love Motley Crue. Dr. Feelgood was just released sometime around my junior year in high school, and it still makes my list of all-time faves. I can still remember where I was and who told me what they were talking about in track #9, and track #11, "Time for Change", is still one of my all time favorite songs.

2. Based on hair alone, I am the motley-est. My husband, son, and I have just moved to sunny Florida from the Midwest, and my hair has had the hardest time adjusting. Did anyone see the Friend's episode when they went to the Caribbean and Monica's hair kinked into an afro? Well, my hair is kind of like that. One look at my MOPS international photo would prove it, but of course, I am not going to post it.

3. I am flawed and really trying to come to terms with it. I am a perfectionist. I have been a Christian since I was a young child, but for some reason, I never grasped the concept of saved by grace, not works. So, I judge myself regularly on where I miss the mark. If I am stressed, I'll be the first to snap or snarl at my dear and sometimes innocent husband, and almost everyone everywhere knows my son's name. If he doesn't walk up to them and tell them, they figure it out when they hear me yell it as I am chasing after him from 50 yards away. I know our son is God's perfect plan for our family, and he is an awesome and wonderful gift, but I regularly wonder why God didn't give each of us the same amount of energy.

4. The other moms in this group are fantastic - not at all motley. I'm not even sure where the name came from. I met Liz in the first week we moved here. She gave me hope that we had not ruined our lives by making this crazy move. I met Rachel next. I truly believe it was divine intervention that willed me to go to the library that day. Rachel told me about MOPS and lots of other great programs for Alex. Then, she even introduced me to her friends. These girls have been so kind to me and Alex. They have taken us in as family, and they are as great as their blogs. They really do live the way they write. I can't believe God has given me such a wonderful support system in this hot and humid new land.

So, as the motley-est mom of all, I'm not sure what I can bring to the table. It probably won't be tips for teaching your four-year-old manners or even how to walk from place to place instead of running. Maybe I'll just spend my time telling you about how great and wonderful my little boy is - how he is another perfect gift from God that I don't deserve, but more on that to come.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Pam, we're so happy you're here! You are a great addition to our Motley community, and I seriously can't remember what things were like before you came to town--it seems like I've known you forever and you've always been here.

As for the hair, yes, I remember the Friends episode (a classic), and just remember, the humidity soaks into the hair of the just and the unjust...We all deal with it, we've just added more styling products over the years...;)

Liz said...

Pam, I was thrilled to know you had moved in next to my MIL. I just love Alex and so does Ethan.
Maybe you could get some dreadlocks like Monica did ;).

Donna said...

Pam, you may have the title to Motley-est Mom Of All...but only for the day. Bryssy will probably fight you for the title tomorrow, and then Maria on Wednesday, then Teresa, Liz and Karly, and if it comes to a throwdown, I WILL take the title on Saturday! If we ever give you the impression of "having it all together," forgive us. It's just a facade. You need only to step across the threshold of our homes for a good dose of reality!

BTW, I have hair very similar to yours. I've already shared with you the great and powerful secret of frizzy Florida hair: CUT IT OFF!!! This is why my hair is only 3 inches long!

Welcome to Motley Moms! You fit right in......consider that a compliment.

;-Donna

Bryssy said...

Oh Pam, Haven't you read my posts at all?? For me "motley" has a changing definition. For instance, today I am wearing baby spit-up on my black dress shirt and smell like spoiled milk! All before 7 am after I got to work! I could make a list of what makes me motley every single day! I loved your post! Bryssy :-)

Pam said...

Hey girls! Thank you all so much for welcoming me and loving me in spite of my hair. And Donna - think of it like this - iron sharpens iron. I have learned so much from you all already. It is good to have some goals to strive towards. I am so lucky to have found you all!!

Maria said...

Welcome to Florida! I've enjoyed talking to you. I think you are great!