...because we all have our motley moments!


Thursday, October 9, 2008

Cue the Debbie Downer music and grab your violins...

I am probably not in the right frame of mind to be doing this today - I'm in a bit of a funk. First of all, the water in my house is brown. I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure water shouldn't be brown. This means that I will have to pick my son up from preschool without showering or fixing my hair, which looked like crap yesterday and did not improve with sleeping on it last night. There are some places in L-Dub that I don't mind going looking like this, but preschool ain't one of 'em. But these are trivial matters. The real reason I'm in a funk today is because of a phone call from last February that keeps running through my head. It was my mom's best friend calling to say that my dad had unexpectedly died of a heart attack. I'm not sure why those words are haunting me today ("Liz, I'm at the hospital with your mom...Your dad had a heart attack...And he died..."). Maybe because my mother is coming to visit tomorrow. Maybe because it's football season and that's one thing I could always connect with my dad over - college football. Maybe because I recently got a new car and that's another thing we connected over - cars. Maybe it's just because Satan hates me and wants me to have a crappy day...because he does. Or maybe God is trying to use this to show me that while losing my dad sucks, I am blessed beyond description. So, to end this post on a more positive note, I give you lyrics from one of my favorite bands, Between the Trees, "Time, love and Jesus seem to beat it." And a list of reasons why my life doesn't suck, despite situations that do:

1. Jesus has forgiven me for all my sins, and they are many.
2. My husband is awesome. He takes care of the boys, helps with housework, makes me laugh, works hard so that we can have things we need and nice things we don't need, and all without complaining. Oh, and he's a hottie, too:).
3. My children are healthy, happy, and lots of fun.
4. My husband and I are going to NYC for the weekend in November. Without the kids!
5. I have really good friends.
6. My husband's family lives here in town and helps tremendously with the boys.
7. I have a comfortable, safe, air conditioned, cute (although old) home.
8. I am healthy.
9. I get to be a stay-at-home mom.
10. Alabama is #2 and undefeated! Roll Tide!

4 comments:

Maria said...

Hey, I have plenty of those days too. Not too much fun are they? You do have many blessings in your life. It's so good that you were able to pen those even while you were having a hard time dealing. Hope you have a great time in November with hubby!

Donna said...

Can I just say, "I LUV Motley Moms?"

Liz, don't take this the wrong way, but part of me is secretly relieved that we all have crap days, bad hair, and really bad attitudes. Makes me feel more human...or something...you know, like my own misery must be normal when that mood strikes.

I love that you made a list of blessings. I keep a running list in my head on my bad days, too. I should actually write them down and post them somewhere in the house. Paul would get a kick out of that!

Hopefully when your "funk" passes, your water will be clean enough to wash it all away...brown water? Eeeeww!

Karly said...

Amen Sister!! I have been in a funk lately too (see BAD MOOD Blog). Mainly because I haven't gotten any sleep for about EIGHT nights now. Thinking of the things I am grateful for is one of the only ways that I can get out of my downer mood. That and listening to praise music. I was listening to the song, "Awesome God" with my kids EARLY yesterday morning , and they were both singing along at the top of their lungs. I was feeling totally exhausted, but I had to smile. How can you be on a bad mood when your kids are praising God?

Great post! Thanks for keeping it real!

Liz said...

Thanks so much for all the comments. I felt kind of icky posting so darkly today but I'm glad you can all relate. Makes me feel more human, too. May I recommend putting your "blessings" list down on paper (or virtual paper)? It made such a huge difference in my attitude today.